The Devonport Agricultural & Pastoral Society was formed in 1906 and held its first Annual Show in 1907.
Since its formation, the Society has purchased the hectares in the heart of Devonport, transferred it from the swamp it was originally and erected upon it the buildings and amenities which exist today. The society acknowledges the farsighted and generous assistance provided by the government and its agencies.
The Society looks upon its grounds as a public facility, apart from its function as a Show Society and to this end plays host to many sporting bodies, social clubs and some public organisations – even to the extent of the giving organisations long term leases of land on which to erect their own buildings, at no cost to the organisation.
The Society accepted the tenancy of the Devonport Harness Club upon its formation and at a later date the Devonport Greyhound Racing Club, supporting and assisting these organisations over the years at nominal rentals. Particularly the latter club, which may have gone into liquidation had it not had been for the Society’s consideration.
After the installation of the lighting in 1951/52 by the Devonport Trotting Club and Show Society, night trots commended and also a night show was introduced. The present 2 day, 1 night show has proven very popular and has been met with universal public support. In an endeavour to promote the Show and encourage exhibitors, the Society provides interstate judges for more classes and activities.
The Society also features a Farmers Market which allows local farmers to sell their produce and the public to browse and purchase local crafts and handmade items. There is also a Car Boot sale and is a great family day out to keep all members of the family entertained.